After contacting nearly a dozen different roofing contractors here in Calgary we finally found one who was willing to repair the roof valley for us. We heard quite a few different things from the other companies we contacted including:
- The valley doesn’t need repair, it has another 5-years or so left in it.
- We can’t repair the valley, but we will gladly replace your whole roof for you.
- I could throw some tar on it, but that would only last a year or two.
- We can’t come out to do a quote for at least 6-weeks, would that work for you?
To complicate matters even further, the type of asphalt single used on our house, T-Lock shingles, was discontinued about 5-years ago, so there is no way to match the current tile with a new tile.
In the end the company that we got to repair the valley was Sunik Roofing. In repairing the roof valley they did the following:
- Remove T-Lock shingles in valley of the garage and walkway.
- Install ice and snow guard to valley, install metal valley flashing leaving a channel for water to flow down the centre.
- Install 2-ply roll roof to each side of the valley, then tie in T-Lock shingles with a starter and seal to roof with tar (poly bitumen).
- Clean and haul away all debris from repair.
They were at our house within a week of us booking Sunik in to do the repair and the repair was done in about 3-hours. From what I can tell as a layman they did a great job on repairing the roof valley and it should do well to last until the whole roof needs to eventually be re-shingled.